Gregory S. Johnson, Attorney at Law
Personal Attention, Effective Solutions
Call For Your Free Consultation: 225-341-4690

What can you do if parenting time interference is an issue?

Many Louisiana parents have serious concerns about how their divorce will impact their kids. While the end of your marriage will affect your kids, it is possible to provide continuity of lifestyle and other types of support in order to mitigate the negative effects on the youngest members of the family. It is also beneficial to allow the child to have enough time with both parents.

You understand the importance of allowing your child to maintain a strong relationship with the other parent, but the other parent may not feel the same way. In some cases, he or she may even attempt to undermine your role in your child's life and your relationship with him or her. This may be parenting time interference, and you do not have to stand for it.

Is it happening to you? 

You may think that the treatment you are experiencing is simply part of the hard feelings and emotional difficulties that sometimes follow a divorce. However, there is a distinct difference between normal strife between divorced parents and parental alienation. Parental alienation can be direct or indirect, but both types have the potential to disrupt your relationship with your child. Examples include the following:

  • Indirect interference is efforts made by one parent to change the way a child thinks about the other parent. This can include refusing to allow a parent to participate in certain activities with the child, interrupting communication and even asking the child to spy on the other parent.
  • Direct interference includes any attempt to keep the child from seeing his or her other parent. This may include refusing to return the child after visitation, moving with the child without permission and more.

If you are experiencing either type of interference, you have the right to take action and protect your rightful role in the life of your child. A court may order specific remedies, such as make-up parenting time, recompense of legal fees and more. 

What is your first step?

If you are a victim of parental alienation, one of your first steps should be to seek help as soon as possible. You do not have to deal with this complex matter on your own. In fact, with guidance, it is possible to put a stop to parenting time interference and restore your custody and visitation schedule. You have the right to directly and quickly address any concerns you have about your parental rights after divorce.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information