Gregory S. Johnson, Attorney at Law
Personal Attention, Effective Solutions
Call For Your Free Consultation: 225-341-4690

Can I refuse visitations for unpaid child support?

When you get divorced and have children, you will end up dealing with child support and custody issues. This is a natural part of the process. While the court initially sets up agreements between you and your spouse, the administration of those agreements may not fall to the court. The court will still manage custody matters, including visitation, but it is the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services that handles child support. As explained by Very Well Family, child support and visitation are two different matters. One does not affect the other, so you cannot stop visitation rights because child support is not paid.

This is a common issue in such cases because you may feel the child's other parent has no right to see him or her if child support has not been paid. The court sees these as different because child support is a natural obligation of a parent. They are required to support a child they have brought into the world. Visitation is something that is the right of the child and based on what is best for the child. It has nothing to do with the parents.

Therefore, the court will order visitation regardless of where child support stands. You have to abide by court orders. If you do not, then you will be held in contempt and could face fines and even jail time. So, if your child's other parent does not pay child support, you still have to follow court orders when it comes to visitation. The child support matter is something you would have to bring up with the child support enforcement agency that handles your case. This information is for education and is not legal advice. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information